Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

1/24/10 Tidbits From Your Cashier

Just gotta say -- when you're told about a policy, a law, or some other similarly unchangable thing, taking it out on the peon (in my case, cashier) who has to explain it to you will do nothing for you. That person has zero power to change the policies of the company they work for and could even possibly lose their job if they were to violate those policies without an order from a supervisor. That goes triple if we're talking about laws.

No, you cannot get bagels and honey nut cheerios with your WIC check. No. I can't change that. Yes, I'm serious.

No, you can not use your daughter's/wife's/husband's/son's/mother's/father's/brother's/sister's/partner's /best friend's EBT card. Only the person whose picture is on that card is legally authorized to be using it. For anybody else to use it is WELFARE FRAUD. No, I shit you not. No, I will not break the law for you. No, I really can't explain to you why you've gotten away with it before. And no, I will not commit a felony so that you can have free groceries.

No, if you do not have enough money on you to finish paying for your groceries I will NOT let you go out to your car with the cart full of groceries and come back in with your purse. YOu're welcome to leave with what you've paid for....nothing else. No, I do not have a few dollars I will give you. Yes, I have a few dollars. No, I'm not giving them to you.

Yes, young man, I WILL ID both you and your young friends when you come through my line with a 12 pack of Bud.

No, your five year old can NOT sign the credit card slip for you.

No, I have no way of telling you what your open to buy is on your Visa.

No, you don't have to announce to me and everybody within earshot that this purchase will be on your "FOOD STAMPS".....that nice debit card thingy they put it on now was for your privacy, dork.

Please, ma'am, don't worry....I won't put your bread in with the sack of oranges or the toilet cleaner. I realize that the 19 year old chicky who checked you out last time did just that.....but keep in mind she's never grocery shopped before. Stick with us middle aged cashiers and you'll be fine. ;-)

If you wanted all your groceries in your own bags then guess what....it might have been helpful to let me know you HAD Those bags about four minutes ago at the start of this process......not now that I've already rung up and bagged about 75% of your groceries. Know what? If you want them in those bags now, you can do it your damn self. I'm not UNbagging all these groceries and bagging them again because you have poor timing.

Golly gee....who'd have though you might possibly need your driver's licence/ID when you wrote a check? No, I can't fake the system out. NO, I will not put my ID# in for you, no, you cannot leave with those groceries until they're paid for and they will NOT be paid for with this check until I see the ID that the computer is demanding I see.

Don't worry....all the little ones figure out their voices echo in here eventually. Tune it out.

As for you, yeah, you.....begging your three year old to behave? Bargaining with a child who appears to still be in diapers? Heaven help you 13 years from now. Notice, the 30 seconds I made eye contact with the little monkey he stopped throwing things, stomping his feet, telling you NO, and hitting you? Yeah....I've got it. You don't. Please, stop breeding now.

Yes...I know our store puts out commercials saying that you can cash your checks here. If you pay attention to that lovely fine print that all those kinds of advertisements have, you'll see that there are a few states where that does not apply. NY is one of those states. Sorry, I cannot cash your check. No, it doesn't matter how much ID you have. It does not matter if I call the bank and verify the funds are there. It does not matter if it's your SSD/SSI/refund or any other type of check. No, it's not my choice. No, it's not the store policy. And definitely NO our store does not have the power or authority to trump NYS laws. So sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment